These Healthy Shortbread Cookies are a testament to the fact that you can enjoy your favourite treats without compromising on health. With just four simple ingredients, you can whip up a batch of delicious cookies that are perfect for satisfying your soul and your body. It’s also naturally vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free!
So, whether you’re looking for a delightful snack to enjoy with your afternoon tea or a healthier dessert option for any occasion, give these shortbread cookies a try. You can customise them too, by using Holiday-themed cookie cutters, dio them in chocolate or sprinkle on some nuts!
In this recipe, I’ve transformed the classic shortbread cookie into a healthier delight that’s as easy to make as it is to devour. These Healthy Shortbread Cookies, with just four simple ingredients, are the perfect way to satisfy your cookie cravings!
why you will love this recipe
Simple Ingredients – Made with just four basic ingredients that you likely already have in your kitchen.
Healthier Twist – These cookies offer a healthier alternative to traditional shortbread cookies.
Refined Sugar-Free – Liquid sweeteners like honey or maple syrup add sweetness without the use of processed sugars.
Gluten-free & Vegan – Made with ingredients that are naturally vegan and gluten-free.
Quick and Easy – They’re quick and straightforward, making it a perfect option for novice bakers or those with busy schedules.
Ground Almonds – Almonds are a nutritional powerhouse, packed with healthy fats, fibre, and essential vitamins and minerals. They’re also a great antioxidant and help manage blood sugar levels.
Liquid Sweetener – Using a liquid sweetener, such as honey or maple syrup, adds natural sweetness without the refined sugars found in traditional recipes. They offer a more balanced release of energy, preventing blood sugar spikes and crashes.
Vanilla Extract – Adds a delicious flavour that compliments the almond flavour.
Salt – I’m a strong believer that in everything sweet, you MUST add a bit of salt to bring out the sweetness even more.
Ground Almonds – You can use any other ground nut such as ground walnuts, pecans, cashews etc or you can use almond flour.
Liquid Sweetener: Honey, Maple Syrup, Agave, Rice Syrup or Date Syrup are all great options to use in this recipe.
How to make healthy shortbread cookies
I’ve added the step-by-step instructions along with some photos, AND I’ve also got a video for you to follow along with.
Step 1: Preheat the Oven
First, preheat your oven to 160°C (140°C fan). This step ensures that your oven is ready when you’ve finished preparing the cookie dough.
Step 2: Combine Ingredients
In a mixing bowl, you’ll want to combine the Ground Almonds, Liquid Sweetener, Vanilla Extract and a pinch of Salt.
Step 3: Mix the Dough
Now, gently fold these ingredients together until they come together to form a well-combined dough. You can choose to use a spatula or simply your hands for this mixing process.
Step 4: Roll Out the Dough
To prepare the dough for shaping, place it between two sheets of baking paper. This not only prevents sticking but also makes it easier to roll. The thickness of the dough can be adjusted based on your preference:
- For standard shortbread cookies, aim for a thickness of about 1/2 a cm.
- If you prefer thicker cookies, roll the dough out to around 1 cm in thickness.
Step 5: Cut the Cookies
Using cookie cutters, a pizza wheel or a knife, proceed to cut the dough into rectangles or any shape that appeals to your creative side. Place these cut cookies onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper and poke the signature holes with a fork.
Step 6: Bake
With your cookies now shaped and arranged, it’s time to bake them. Pop them into the preheated oven for approximately 10 minutes or until they exhibit a lovely golden hue around the edges. If you’ve chosen to make thicker cookies, you may need to extend the baking time slightly. Ensure to keep a close eye on them to prevent over-baking.
Step 7: Cool and Enjoy
Once your cookies are done, carefully remove them from the oven. Allow them to cool on a wire rack, which helps maintain their texture and flavour. Now, it’s time to indulge! Enjoy your Healthy Shortbread Cookies paired with a comforting cup of tea or your favourite beverage.
Get creative with the presentation! Cut the cookies into holiday-themed shapes, drizzle them with dark chocolate, or sprinkle them with chopped nuts for added texture and flavour.
How to store shortbread cookies
To ensure your Healthy Shortbread Cookies stay fresh and delicious, here are the recommended storage instructions:
Room Temperature: These cookies can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3-5 days. However, the exact shelf life may vary depending on factors like humidity and temperature. If it’s very hot and humid, they may soften more quickly.
Refrigeration (Optional): If you want to extend their shelf life, you can store the cookies in the refrigerator. This can help keep them fresh for up to a week. Again, ensure they are in an airtight container to prevent moisture absorption.
Freezing (Optional): To prolong their shelf life even further, consider freezing the cookies. Place them in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag, separating layers with parchment paper. Properly stored, these cookies can last in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy them, simply thaw them at room temperature for a few hours.
More easy and healthy cookie recipes
- 4-ingredient Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- PB & J Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Protein Cookies
- Easy Chocolate Coconut Biscuits (gluten-free + healthy!)
Healthy Shortbread Cookies
- Start by preheating your oven to 160°C (140°C fan).
- In a mixing bowl, add the ground almonds, liquid sweetener, vanilla extract and salt. Gently fold the ingredients together until they form a well-combined dough.
- Place the dough between two sheets of baking paper. Roll it out to your desired thickness, aiming for about 1/2 a cm for standard shortbread cookies. If you prefer thicker cookies, roll them out to around 1 cm thick.
- Using cookie cutters or a knife, cut the dough into rectangles or any shape you like. Poke some holes with a fork.
- Place the cut cookies on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 10 minutes or until they turn golden around the edges. If you opted for thicker cookies, you may need to bake them for a few minutes longer.
- Whilst I do provide the US cup measurements for the recipe, I always recommend using a kitchen weighing scale and using the weighted measurements instead. This will result in a more accurate process and your cake will come out perfectly.
- Elevate them – You can use Holiday-themed cookie cutters, dip them in chocolate or add some nuts – get creative and make this recipe your own!
- Read the blog post before making these Healthy Shortbread Cookies for extra tips, ingredient substitutions and storage instructions.
- These nutritional values are provided as a guide only and may be different depending on your ingredients and measurements.